Field engineer: Engineering and production support
Davie’s shipyard, 2016-2018
3E Eng. was mandated by Davie’s shipyard to provide electrical technical support as field engineer, in the construction of two new ferries for Société des traversiers du Québec. This project was completed by two of our colleague and they combined 33 months of work at full time on this mandate.
The tasks completed by our field engineer was:
- Help find solution to production’s problems in every aspect of electrical installation;
- Participate in the creation and retention of electrical database;
- Help picking, validating et transmitting the documentation;
- Review of electrical diagram and design;
- Review of operational process;
- Carry out the search, the documentation and the management of electricals materials orders
Following this contract, Davie’s shipyard delivers to STQ, the first ferries powered by LNG (Liquid Natural Gas) in North America. Furthermore, this technological challenge contributed to reduce nitrogen oxide emission by 90% compare to ferries actually used at Tadoussac-Baie-Sainte-Catherine’s crossing. In addition, this technology provide to the new ferries a zero fumes, soot and sulphur emission rejected in the air.
About field engineer
The role of a field engineer is to provide technical support to production team. He makes sure the production got all the tools and support necessary to complete their tasks without interruption. Problem solving are done both in engineering office and directly on construction site.